Some people knit or train spot in their free time. I… organize my font library. Serif or Sans Serif – Blackletter or Didone, there are standard classes that exist. I have been forced to create one class in my library reserved for an elite group called “WTF/Amateur Night”. I don’t want my eyes to burn from your horrible designs any more. Please follow these guide lines before committing any further glyph genocide.
DO NOT GENERATE FONT FILES IF:
- …you designed 15-30 letters for a typography II / graphic design class.
- …you really like a logo and want to turn it in a font.
- …you are modifying five glyphs in a classic font (I’m talking about you “Coolvetica”).
- …you run an existing font through effects or filters. (It’s not the 90s anymore).
- …you don’t know what kerning is.
- …you can barely use the program.
- …you don’t understand the concept of path direction.
- …you are a beginner.
The above listed are all great explorations in design and I urge you to explore and tinker until your heart is content. Just don’t generate the font. Once you create a font and email it to a friend it is carved in stone. Years from now it will find it’s way into thousands if not millions of font libraries as debris – visual noise to wade through like a flooded basement after your septic tank bursts.
Don’t do it!